There is a wide range of digital content in the world, such as music, videos, ebooks, and online courses. These cannot be touched or tasted, but they are used by everyone.
Since digital content can be easily distributed, many entrepreneurs are mainly engaged in such intangible products. Many also work with digital content to complement traditional products and services. Shopify makes it easy to get started with digital content, as you can quickly launch an online shop that sells downloads.
What makes digital content particularly attractive is that once it’s created, it can be sold repeatedly to many people. There is no need to restock. For creators, artists, educators, and freelancers looking for a new source of income, it’s an ideal way to maintain it with less effort.
Table of Contents
What Is Digital Content?
Digital content refers to intangible assets or media material. It can be repeatedly sold and distributed online, and there is no need to restock. Digital content is typically provided as downloadable or streamable files such as MP3s, PDFs, videos, plug-ins, and templates.
Benefits Of Creating Digital Content
Digital content has many attractive product advantages:
- Overhead costs are low. There is no need to keep inventory and there is no shipping fee.
- The profit margin is extremely high. Since the cost of goods is not repeated, most of the sales can be profitable.
- Possibility for automation. Orders can be delivered instantly, and shipping is not a hassle.
- The product is flexible. You can also distribute digital content for free to build your email customer list or charge a monthly subscription or licensing fee to access exclusive digital content. There are many options for how to incorporate digital content into your business.
- E-learning bears the future of education. The e-learning industry is expected to reach $ 331 billion by 2025. There is an opportunity to expand influential businesses.
On the other hand, digital content also has some challenges to watch out for:
- Competing with free content. Since there is much alternative free content for digital content, it is necessary to pay close attention to the target niche area and explain the product with added value. Consider building a brand to participate in the competition.
- There is a risk of copyright infringement or plagiarism. You need to take risk countermeasures with appropriate tools to mitigate risk in order to protect your products.
- There are restrictions on the sales method. For example, Facebook and Instagram’s commerce policies require that digital content be sold first by selling tangible products.
Rest assured that most of these challenges that arise when launching a digital content business can be overcome with the right tools.
7 Selections Of Sales Apps For Digital Content
If you want to launch a digital content shop with Shopify or add digital content to an existing shop, be sure to use the apps below to build your store! (Please note that basically it will be used in English in the app)
- Digital Downloads: Shopify’s free app that makes it easy to sell digital content. You can download the file immediately when you purchase the product and receive the link by email.
- Sendowl: A more complex app for the digital content business. With multifunctional and convenient automation functions such as time-limited links and automatically issued license keys.
- Single Music: A music sales app for musicians. Not only is it a bridge between traditional music products and digital music, but it also makes it possible to easily attach viewing clips to product pages.
- Thinkific: An app for monetizing your expertise. You can expand your audience by adding online courses to Shopify’s online shop. You can upload content and create a course curriculum by dragging and dropping. There is a free plan that allows you to create up to 3 courses of the curriculum.
- FetchApp: A digital download delivery app that simplifies Sendowl. There is a free plan (storage capacity up to 5 MB), and it is possible to attach multiple files to one product.
- Sky Pilot or Bold Memberships: An app for creating membership programs that sell files and stream exclusive videos. Customers can access all files they have previously purchased from their accounts.
- BookThatApp, Tipo, Sesame: One-on-one or small group consulting and coaching session booking app. All apps offer free plans.
In addition, Shopify has other apps to help you sell and protect your digital content:
- Order Ando Subscription Recurring: weekly or monthly subscription app. Automate recurring purchase orders and invoices, online enrollment, and digital subscriptions.
- Photolock: A convenient app that allows you to add higher security to visual products such as stock photos. You can take most of the security measures you need, from watermarks to source code protection.
- Disable Right-Click: An app that protects content from theft. With a function to lock images and texts so that they cannot be saved or copied without permission.
The Latest Version Of The Shopify Store Opening Guide Has Been Released
Open an online shop on Shopify. This guidebook explains how to use Shopify to open your store.
Download the guidebook
6 digital Contents That Can Be Sold At Online Shops
Education-related products such as e-books and online courses If you have detailed content, why not offer an online course. At the initial stage, preparations such as making a presentation and shooting a guidance video are required. Also, when creating an online course, first consider what the outcome of your learning will be. It is important to clarify what you want your users to learn and what you want them to learn after the course.
It’s a good idea to subdivide the content within the course and incorporate quizzes, knowledge checks, interactive activities, etc. to make online learning more familiar. It is also possible to learn and introduce educational models such as ADDIE.
If you have expertise in a specific field, it is recommended that you convert the information into digital content and sell it to those who want to learn.
If you already have a free blog post or YouTube tutorial that covers what you want to teach, why not sell content that promises “change” rather than “learning”? In other words, through learning, we open up the possibility of how users can make a transition.
If you already have a reputation as an expert, you can use it to get your attention. If you start from scratch, you can distribute free content to attract attention and connect it to paid digital content.
License To Use Digital Content
There are many licensable digital assets uploaded by creators around the world, such as stock photos, video footage, music, and sound effects.
By providing licenses to individuals and businesses in online marketplaces such as online shops and stock photo sites, you can charge usage fees for photos, videos, music, and software. However, in such marketplaces, sales are deducted up to 50% commission, although they are more exposed. If you want a private site for selling digital assets, Sendowl, which automatically issues individual license keys, will be able to realize such business development.
When creating digital assets, it is also effective to calculate backward because the target audience is looking for them. Once you create the content your audience wants, it’s easier to sell because it’s already in demand.
Also, take security measures such as watermarks to protect the product. This is especially important when selling photos online.
Providing Membership With Access To Limited Edition Digital Content
Instead of selling individual digital content, you can also offer paid subscriptions that bring them together and earn recurring revenue.
This is a great way to grow your library of premium content and foster an enthusiastic membership community. Paid digital subscriptions can also help monetize your existing content.
Such content is typically locked so that only paying registrants can access it through their customer account. Therefore, it is possible to provide limited content in streaming format instead of download format.
The registration fee of payment processing Charge Rabbit the, the digital delivery system Sky Pilot using, business plan Why not try to create.
Digital Templates And Tools
Some digital content is in the form of tools that are useful for non-professional tasks and time-consuming tasks. Sell and sell digital solutions that address the challenges and needs that many audiences struggle with.
Digital solutions include:
- Product prototype file for entrepreneurs
- Resume template for job seekers
- Business software
- Adobe After Effects plug-in for video editors
- Icons, fonts, UX kits, etc. for web designers
If you are already a freelance business, why not consider converting your skills and services into digital content and earning some income?
Sale Of Music Or Art
Musicians and artists can also leverage their talents and profit from the audience they have built. Selling original merchandise such as T-shirts and prints is an option, but digital downloads can also be commercialized.
For example, musicians could sell typical songs as ringtones, and cartoonists could sell their illustrations as portable wallpapers. You don’t have to keep inventory, so you can explore what your audience wants in different ways without taking risks.
Expertise And Services
The individual training program in the digital package, sold as a subscription per month Street Parking Inc.
Generally, the number of hours the service is provided (something like “inventory”) is limited, but there is no limit to digital content. Services and digital content that have the opposite nature seem to be very compatible to sell in combination.
Customers often receive digital content as part of the service they purchase. The designer will provide the logo and the personal trainer will suggest an exercise plan. In this way, it is possible to incorporate advantageous digital content into the service and sell it as a “package”.
For example, if you provide a customized report or Excel spreadsheet for a paid consulting service, you will be able to sell in combination with other services and products. Alternatively, you can build an email customer list by offering downloadable products for free. Many online businesses now use this technique.
If the task of processing it as part of the service is easy for you but valuable to your customers, you can try commercializing it. This is an opportunity to connect to a source of income without any hassle.
Find Ideas For Selling Digital Content
It’s easy to stay still until something comes to mind, but finding a good business idea takes time. It’s great to have an enthusiastic idea, but if you want to make money, it’s important to take the steps of brainstorming, research, and validation.
Start by writing down the ideas you are thinking of. Be careful not to be negative at this stage. Bad ideas can lead to good ideas and vice versa. The trick is not to think too much about brainstorming.
If you’re looking for something that comes to mind, why not ask yourself the following:
- Is it possible to teach how to use the product? For example, if you sell knitting goods, try offering advanced knitting technique lessons.
- Is there anything I can do to help my customers? For example, if you sell surfboards, create a customer workout plan to stay healthy and surfable.
- Go back to the corporate philosophy that underpins your business and thinks about related topics. For example, if you sell renewable apparel products, offer your customers an online course on sustainable living.
- Is there an opportunity for the customer community to come together? If you’re selling kitchen utensils, try hosting a virtual guided wine tasting event.
- What are you good at? For example, if product photography is a special skill, we will teach you how to take excellent product photography in an online course.
It is important to properly research the contents of the idealist. Know the products, industries, and values that your customers are critical of, and at the same time know that they are happy. Opportunities should lie in both.
Here Are Some Ways To Investigate:
- Facebook group. Facebook has a group that covers all the niche areas and audiences you can think of. A great place to find out what your potential customers care about.
- Industry forum. Forums that focus on a particular hobby or industry community can help you understand what people want across industries.
- Product review. Gather ideas by reading product reviews of your company and competitors. Either product page reviews or individual reviews posted on blogs or websites are acceptable.
- Blog posts and comments. Read related blogs and comments to collect ideas. For example, if you are dealing with automobile parts, read the automobile-related blog and delve into the contents.
- Email from the customer. Be sure to read back emails and messages from customers. People who bother to communicate their thoughts and concerns have a “strong will” to gain insights that are useful to the business.
Before you spend your time sticking to an idea, you need to verify that it’s solid. You don’t want to invest your time or money in a new business without knowing if you will succeed.
There Are Several Ways To Validate Your Ideas:
- Keyword survey. Use the Keyword Tool to find out how many people are searching for your topic. This helps to know the degree of interest in each idea.
- Google Trends. Search Google Trends for topics of increasing interest. Highly interested topics suggest that the scale of the opportunity is on the rise.
- Request feedback. Contact customers directly via email or social media. Opinion polls and surveys are also recommended to collect customer feedback.
- Start small and repeat. The easiest way to test an idea is to try it on a small scale and leave room for growth. The goal is to surface the idea in some way, test what kind of reaction it has, and improve from there.
Whatever the industry, unique feats and knowledge will be of great help to our customers.
Be Creative With Your Own Digital Content
Businesses dealing with digital content do not have to hold inventory or pay overhead to sell tangible merchandise. Therefore, you can easily try it without taking a big risk.
There are many ways to create digital content and incorporate it into your business. With ingenuity and a small investment of time, you will be able to create attractive value that will make up for it.