Computer security is essential for functioning correctly for companies, businesses, and institutions. Without realizing it, our devices and hard drives are exposed daily to cyber attacks that can cause serious problems, rendering the hardware useless or exposing sensitive information for theft. We must look at the data: an average of 40,000 cyber attacks per day.
Therefore, it is vital to protect computer equipment correctly, whether for home or business use. To stop these cyberattacks, we have antivirus software on the front line of battle, capable of detecting and preventing these situations.
However, these software and traditional security measures only sometimes work as the intelligence of hackers and viruses evolves. Faced with this challenge, technology is growing by offering powerful protection tools that achieve higher security. This is the case of EDR, a system designed to prevent theft and loss of data.
If you have an SME, you should know what an EDR is, how it works, and what benefits it offers you. Here, we give you the answers.
Table of Contents
What is an EDR?
An EDR ( Endpoint Detection Response ) is a cybersecurity system designed to detect threats that may compromise the operation of computer equipment or the information it contains.
The general objective of an EDR is to mitigate all computer security threats by focusing on protecting network endpoints such as computers, tablets, smartphones, or any other mobile device. This is the big difference compared to a traditional antivirus, making EDR a system that is as useful or more useful than the first.
However, as with everything, EDRs have advantages and disadvantages that you are interested in knowing if you are considering installing one of these systems on your computers.
Main characteristics of an EDR
What makes EDRs so effective is their multifunctional design. In some aspects, these systems represent an evolution of traditional antiviruses since they combine various tools to detect a threat.
Explaining how they work in detail differs from the objective of this article, given that they are complex systems. Despite this, you are interested in knowing the main tools that EDR systems use to evade attackers and problems with a very high-efficiency level.
- Sandbox utility: If you are familiar with this term, you will already know that it is used to designate a virtual space where security systems test the operation of files and programs downloaded from the Internet.
- Database with lists of web pages, IP addresses, and emails that are likely to be harmful and that should be blocked or diverted automatically.
- Constant scans and analysis of indicators of compromise, as well as the use of YARA rules, to detect and avoid threats that are difficult to stop with a conventional antivirus.
- Artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning can be used to detect complex threats and even protect against social engineering attacks where a conventional antivirus would be of little use.
This last point is, without a doubt, what makes EDR so attractive in the eyes of those looking for the highest level of computer security possible in their project.
Learning through artificial intelligence, big data, and machine learning implies that these systems analyze behavioral patterns to learn literally from their own experience. Over time, the software adapts and improves automatically. This allows, for example, to detect unauthorized access to a computer and notify its owner or main user.
Advantages and disadvantages of an EDR system
Compared to antivirus or EPP ( Endpoint Protection Platform ), EDR is an excellent option. Based on its main characteristics, you can easily deduce what its fundamental advantages are:
- It adapts to different types of malware since it learns over time and starts with a huge database.
- Thanks to its behavioral analysis using artificial intelligence, it can confront an unknown threat and different types of attacks.
- It carries out constant and in-depth monitoring of one or more devices, achieving an optimal security level that is very difficult to circumvent.
On the other hand, there are also some drawbacks that you should take into account before deciding to install an ERP system on any of your equipment:
- The notifications can be higher and more frequent than those from an antivirus, leading to false positives.
- It is more complex to install and manage than a normal antivirus. Therefore, the best option is to put yourself in the hands of a company that is an expert in computer security.
- It may require a larger investment.
How to protect your equipment with an EDR system
If you need to avoid any security incident and are determined to install an EDR, you should know what options are available.
All these specific software are potent, and anyone you choose will be a good option. However, the most requested on the market are usually those that offer the best quality-price ratio, making most users opt for them. Some of the brands that we recommend are the following:
- Heimdal Security
- Carbon Black
When choosing one EDR software or another, always remember to check that it suits your needs. You should investigate the features and improvements offered by different brands and the reviews of other users to verify that the product meets its purpose and has the necessary support.